Blog Social Networking

What runs the world? Technology.
There are a plethora of uses for technology in the modern world we live in. We see it in our everyday lives; people buried into their cellphones on the subway, the moving screens at 42nd street, smart boards in the classroom. Personally, I live on my laptop, so much that I practically never turn on the flatscreen TV hanging in my room. And so does Lauren M. Holson, who mentions in her New York Times article, "I don’t need one: the major networks and many other broadcasters have made it easy to find their shows free online." Quite frankly, why even spend the money when technology has made it possible to catch up on your favorite dramas, type your paper that's due the next morning, and enjoy some online shopping on the same portable device. Technology has made many things possible.

However, are the effects of technology all that great? Personally, technology has made me more disconnected with the world, in the sense that I won't just pick up a book and read in the park. I would rather just stay home and read an ebook on my phone. Interesting statistic: two-thirds of the world's population now uses mobile phones, as stated Andrew Savikas' article "Media: Don't Fear New Technologies". Technology definitely has its "dark side". Our world increasingly depends on it. We've become so lazy, as we are incapable of searching for an answer in an Encyclopedia because we could just Google and receive what we're looking for in seconds. We expect to have things done for us, yesterday. 
There's no stopping what is has done and will continue to do. I expect to see a flying car in my life time because from what I've seen, technology finds its way. 

Sources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

P2P

Advice